718-448-4100 | 224 Morningstar Rd Staten Island, NY 10303
Freon Leak Detection Kits
AC Leak Detector Kits
Most auto repair shops in Staten Island use an electronic AC leak detector to find a leak in your AC system. Electronic leak detectors can be expensive. But a DIY AC leak detection kit costs much less than a repair shop charges to find a leak. Most kits use an aerosol can of dye that looks like a caulk gun or fire extinguisher. These kits are great for finding simple leaks in the AC system of cars made after 1994.
12 Steps For Using An AC Leak Detector Kit
- Read the instructions on the dye leak detector kit to determine exactly how much dye you should put in.
- Follow the air conditioning hoses to the low side air conditioning fitting.
- Unscrew the cap. It may be labeled with an "L", but if not, it is the fitting furthest from your AC condenser.
- Attach the tube that is connected to the dye canister to the Schrader valve that was exposed when you unscrewed the "L" cap.
- Attach the hose by placing it on the Schrader valve and screwing it on or by pushing it down.
- Unscrew the bottom of the dye canister to allow the dye to flow into the system for a few seconds.
- Take the hose off of the low side fitting and replace its cap.
- Run the air conditioner on full blast so that they dye will escape from the leak.
- Park your car in your garage and close the garage door so sunlight doesn't interfere with the next step.
- With the engine off, put on the UV glasses.
- Slowly shine the UV light on every connection and port. Carefully study all connections and lines, compressor, condenser and evaporator, filter dryer, pressure switch, service connections, expansion valve.
- Small leaks will appear purple under UV light.
Everyone over at Morningstar Auto Parts are by far some of the most friendliest people out there; not to mention knowledgeable. Need parts in a hurry, give these guys a call. They look to get you what you need and if they don't have something in stock they make sure they can get it for you. Do yourself a favor and give these gents a call if your in need of some auto parts!